Our mission here at BandPage has always been to connect people who make music with people who love music.
Three years ago, we took an important first step when we launched the first iteration of BandPage, an app that helped musicians reach their fans on Facebook. Over the past year, we’ve built on that offering, giving the musicians who use BandPage ways to more easily set up their online presence and automatically syndicate that presence to the world’s largest social and music platforms, including Twitter, Soundcloud, and Pandora’s Concert Calendar.
Today, we’re taking another big step forward, one that opens a new chapter for BandPage and the more than 500,000 musicians we work with.
Introducing …BandPage Experiences!
BandPage Experiences is a new feature that answers a fundamental question: there are many different kinds of music fans, from casual listeners and established fans to superfans. So why sell everyone the same products — t-shirts, tickets, CDs or downloads?
We believe there’s an opportunity for musicians to make a better and more sustainable living by offering fans something more: experiences. Experiences are a one-of-a-kind chance for musicians and the people who love their music to connect in a direct and more personal way.
BandPage Experiences enable you to make a deeper and lasting connection with your fans through memories, not stuff. It gives any artist the freedom to create different experiences for different types of fans, and offer something more imaginative than downloads, CDs, t-shirts, or concert tickets. With BandPage, you can tailor experiences to the unique characteristics of your fanbase; offer low-cost items for people just discovering your music, premium experiences for your super-fans, and everything in-between.
Until now, offering these experiences to your fans hasn’t been possible through a single platform. BandPage Experiences changes that by giving you –or any musician– a way to create these experiences and a place where they can live. And it’s possible through a platform you’re already using to connect with your fans across the web.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve had the pleasure of working with more than 50 truly world-class musicians who are launching experiences today through a redesigned BandPage.com, including Black Veil Brides, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Collie Buddz, Nataly Dawn, Free Energy, Hieroglyphics, Los Rakas, Múm, The Postelles, Slightly Stoopid, Stars, and Zakk Wylde among others. As you can see here, these artists have put in the effort to come up with creative and valuable experiences for their fans:
- Stars will record an acoustic cover of any song, just for you. Price $200.
- Múm will create a personal song from your sounds –whistling, guitar plonks or poetry– then send you that song on a vinyl 7” created just for you. Price? $1,500
- Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde will give you a 30-minute personal guitar lesson over Skype (Price: $2,500).
- You can get a drum lesson from Slightly Stoopid’s drummer, RyMo (price: $100)
- Free Energy will take you bowling near their Philadelphia practice space — after you sit in on their rehearsal. Price $50.
- Be Stic’s personal VIP at Dead Prez SXSW showcase featuring Talib Kweli.
- While she’s on tour this year, Nataly Dawn (from Pomplamooose) will cook you dinner, then play a private show in the living room of her airbnb rental. Price $150 and up.
- Megan Keely will write you a personalized ditty for any occasion. Price $100
For this first release of BandPage Experiences, we’re starting with a select number of musicians. We will make the feature available to a wider audience in the coming months, with a goal of offering it to any artist who uses BandPage by this summer. Starting today, anyone with a BandPage can sign up to be among the first to try Experiences as we roll it out this spring; just log into your BandPage account on the Experiences tab. Meanwhile, think about what types of experiences your fans might be interested in!
We believe that offering these types of experiences directly to fans will be a significant source of revenue for musicians over the next few years. We’re proud to make BandPage the first platform where artists can easily offer these experiences at scale, and look forward to seeing the amazing new experiences musicians come up with.